How My Mom Turned Our Home Into A Festive Christmas House


 Ho Ho Ho Christmas is near and everyone can’t wait for the jolly holiday to arrive. I never really liked Christmas since as long as I can remember, also don’t think I’ve ever believed in Santa Claus. Indonesia is far too hot (since it’s a tropical country) for Santa with his red thick costume, his giant white beard and of course his eight lovely reindeers to survive visiting. 




But my mother is such an enthusiast for Christmas specifically speaking, Christmas Decorations. She has a knack for artsy things and a sense or aesthetic decorating which seems to might have been passed down to me a little bit, except for the fact that she’s very motivated while I’m not. 


Every year, she would decorate our home into different themes. When it’s Chinese New Year, she would buy oriental decorations and cherry blossom artificial tree. Easter means pink, pastels, and eggs. Family members birthday means balloons, ribbons, and cakes. But mom’s favourite is Christmas and this year she has gone crazy with decorating. 


When I first woke up in November 8th or 9th, I was more than surprised to see a big Christmas tree inside the living room of our apartment. “So it begins” I thought. Mom’s decorating frenzy, that is. It was still 2 months away but to Mom, she starts decorating like it’s the last day she can decorate.


And each morning I wake up to see a new addition to our decorations. At first it does not bother me at all. Mom was doing what she loves and that’s a good thing. That is until she went overboard and took my favorite spot to sit. 


The wifi in our home was kind of “meh”, it does not reach my room. In order to have a blissful wifi connection to play games with my friends, I have to sacrifice the delight of having an AC in my bedroom and sit outside at the dining table, sweating in some times. I usually start playing at 11 and finish at 3. Of course it’s 3AM in the morning if you ask. Or sometimes 4. 


Well what my mom did that pisses me off until now is, decorating the edges of the dining table, which in fact where we all would supposedly sit during dinner time, with these itchy annoying slingers all around. As if it wasn’t enough, she added more golden butterflies, silver vines, red flowers and christmas baubles and a little santa dangling from the slinger. 





My problem was I can no longer sit there with peace. Everytime I place my arms there, the decoration itches and just terribly uncomfortable to the point I would place a blanket over them. Also on days im not wearing long pajama pants, the decorations would also itch my legs to a horrible sensation. The bothersome part is that she did not ask for my opinion regarding this trivial matter. My family complained to our alpha mom. But as I mentioned, an Alpha mom never loses. Our futile efforts of protests did not ripe any fruit. 


My last effort ended in a disaster of being banned to sit on the dining table for the sake of visually pleasing decorated table. Apparently because of my blanket some of the decorations would fall down or come undone. Mother yelled at me and forced me to play my laptop on the FLOOR. The floor is my bosom friend now. I wish Santa would give me some small tables to put my Laptop on so I don’t have to use a smelly cardboard box anymore. I never have thought the day I would be camping on the floor would arrive this soon. 


Nevertheless it is still an enjoyable sight to watch my mom decorate our home more and more. Our entrance way is full of decorations that we collect from previous years. I wonder how many Christmas decorations we’ll have by 2030. Surely this apartment won’t be able to keep it all. The amount just keeps getting higher each year.




The merry jolly christmas tree is placed left to the TV, and fake present boxes are also placed there on top of white furry carpets and more decorations in front of our TV. Lately because we are banned from sitting on the dining table, we now eat our dinner on floor. Like a picnic in front of our TV, no tables, no chairs. But the good side is we eat together while watching Christmas Netflix movies. That is something I didn’t know I would love until it happened. 


Our couch had 12 Christmas cushions, perhaps mom was inspired by the number of Jesus’s disciples. Speaking of Jesus, my parents are Christian Protestan. Mom made sure to have a small Christian corner on the right of the TV. It’s a little scene of Jesus’s birth with some donkeys and the three magis. Although there is an extra angel who I’m not sure was present in the bible. 



Oh, and my favourite spot would have to be this. 




It’s a seating area with windows. When guests come to my house, that’s the area where they usually take photos. It’s very Christmassy and just adorable. I never paid much attention to other parts of my home until I decided to write a blog about this but Mom is really detail oriented. I just noticed that all lights, all small parts of my home are decorated. Even the curtains, the lights, the chandelier, and every snack jars on our coffee table. It is a wonder how one could do such a wonderful and delicate job while also having to go the office on weekdays. 








Also, did I mention that she is also an expert at baking? Not a professional but she’s a very great home cook. Just look at this Ginger bread house she made. Oh would you take a look at this and you can't tell me that you do not think this looks adorable! I mean it just screams "CUTE” to me. Maybe I also need to add that she got carried away too and made not one but 3 giant cakes. None of my family eats cake... who’s going to eat all of them? Maybe the guests at our upcoming Christmas party will. 






Mom is holding a Christmas party on the 19th. She can’t wait to have families and friends mesmerized by her decorations. I also can’t can’t wait for that day, only for a different reason. I can’t wait for that despicable evil slingers at the dining table to go away and have my sweet spot back again. 


That is all for My Mom’s Christmas Home Decorations. Thank you for reading! Hope it inspires you to decorate and put some effort better next Christmas. Of course I doubt Mom will back off in terms of the most devoted and most prepared Home Decorations. 


P.S Bonus video of more moving jolly decorations




Comments

Popular Posts